Monday, May 28, 2012

Time to get to know me


Hello readers!

Now, I’m sure this may seem a tad random. I will preface this post with this: I plan to tell my readers about my self today, as well as my motivations to write. If you think that will bore you, I won’t be offended if you decide to skip this blog entry. However, you may find something within the mumbo jumbo that interests you so I do encourage you to at least skim it briefly.

I’ve been writing (and I mean actually writing things down) since I was about fifteen. Before that, I wrote small things on construction paper or in a computer program for kids. However, it had been nearly ten years since that when I sat down and began writing fan fiction. Yes, I got my start writing fan fiction! First, I wrote a little story about my own clan of Warrior Cats. It was rife with grammatical mistakes and tense mix-ups. In fact, it almost physically hurts for me to go back and read it.

At that point, I was too afraid to let anyone other than my mother read anything I wrote. And I mean anything. I was afraid to communicate online, so I made my mom read any little correspondence. I was overly critical of every little thing I wrote, even if it was just an instant message. I’m still amazed that I wrote several pages of that Warrior fan fiction because I was so afraid to write at that point.

Yet, I had a million stories in my head that played out as I attempted to fall asleep. I had fully developed original characters that had fully developed back stories and relationships, yet I could not bring myself to write them down.

After writing that fan fiction (which to this day remains unfinished), I stopped writing again. It wasn’t until a year later, when I picked up a book titled “Twilight” that I was inspired to write again. After reading every Twilight book, I forced my mother to read them as well.

Well, my mom, being an English teacher, pointed out a lot of things in the Twilight books that I had no idea about at that point. It was reading those books with my mom that I finally learned what she had tried to tell me when I had her read my Warriors fan fiction and what it meant. Yes, that’s right. Twilight taught me the does and don’ts of writing.

In addition to that, however, my mom and I had deep discussions about the characters and what we believed Stephenie Meyer meant to do and what she actually did. We discussed everything in deep detail and through that, I learned more about character development and plots.

All the while, I had begun writing Twilight fan fiction. Through that, I became more comfortable writing, though I still could not bring myself to write about characters that had been in my head nearly all my life. While writing the fan fiction, however, I came up with new characters and developed them.

One day, I woke up and realized that I had an idea for a story. A story that didn’t involve the Twilight characters. I quickly got to work. Now, that story still remains unfinished, but that story led to another. “Ways of the Pack,” in fact.

Now you know the story of how I came to write. Hopefully it doesn’t make me look too weird… I mean, I am weird, but I don’t want to turn off my readers with my weirdness! I think every writer has to have a certain level of weirdness to be able to write, honestly.

Okay, enough about the history of my writing. Onto things about me specifically. I was born and raised in Texas and don’t plan on leaving anytime soon, though I dream of moving someplace less hot. I used to think I wanted to live in Alaska, but I now realize that I don’t want to be too cold either. My arms get chilled easily.

I have two wonderful dogs, Sugar and Taffy. They are both small poodles and are both stinkers. Taffy, who weighs four pounds at age six (her birthday was last week) bosses around Sugar who will turn twelve in November and weighs about eight pounds. Taffy is really good with people, but no so good with other dogs. Boy, can she growl…

I enjoy writing more than anything, but reading can be fun as well if I find the right materially (I nearly wrote “write” instead of “right”, hehe). I prefer to read about shape shifters, but an occasional vampire novel never hurt anyone. I used to hate vampires with a passion, but that was when I was young and feared that they were real. Back then, I was afraid of nearly everything, yet I never feared werewolves. Ever. I think that was a sign of things to come.

My two favorite movies are Beauty and the Beast (the Disney version), Spirit, and Princess Bride. I really want to read Princess Bride, but I keep forgetting to track down the book. I don’t really have a favorite book, though I have read each Harry Potter book at least five times. I’ve read the third and fifth books a lot more, though, because they are my favorites of the series. I think it has something to do with the werewolves and shape shifters… Interesting…

There are a ton of different types of werewolves in books and movies, but I don’t really have a favorite. I like them all, I guess. Van Helsing had the most awesome-looking werewolf in a movie, but Skyrim (a video game) even has that beat. In media, I think Skyrim had the best werewolf.

Now, you’re probably thinking I’m a big gamer, right? Wrong. I barely play video games, but I had to when I heard that Skyrim had awesome werewolves. I also play Dragon Age Origins, though I’m kind of turned off of that game because I messed it up a bit.

As for other games, I occasionally am an avid The Sims player as well as Zoo Tycoon. I used to play deer and duck hunting games (and was pretty good if I do say so myself), but I haven’t been able to in a while.

So, it’s time for music… As I write this part, I am listening to Howl by Florence and the Machine. I love this song and it sparked so many ideas when I began writing “Mating of the Beasts.” Just a second ago, I was listening to Fireflies by Owl City, but this playlist is mostly made up of songs from the Twilight soundtracks as well as the Vampire Diaries soundtrack with a few Disney songs thrown in. I have eclectic tastes in music and I can learn to like almost anything.

I hope you feel like you know me better now. Please, let me know if you have any questions about me, my writing, my characters… anything! I will happily answer!

Thanks for reading!
~A.M. Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment